Here is the newest edition of A Chat With, the thrice weekly interview series where you get to learn a little bit about the background and creative processes of different bands from around town. This time we had a little chat with Ottawa’s dankest group of Djenty Bois, Held In Secret.
1. How would you describe your sound?
We like to describe our sound as Djent/Metalcore
2. Who influences your music?
Lyrically speaking we’re heavily inspired by Silent Planet from California, musically we like to say we’re pretty unique but we’re influenced by many notable bands like Northlane, In Hearts Wake, Erra, Veil of Maya Etc..
3. Anything exciting happening for 2019/2020? What’s on the horizon for Held In Secret?
A new EP, a few festivals, a LOT of shows, and a couple 3 day tours
4. How do you come up with those insane songs? What is your creative process?
Our vocalist is the one writing the barebones of almost every one of the tracks, then the guitarists jump in and make it into something amazing!
5. Where do you draw the inspiration for your music from? What inspires you as a songwriter?
All aspects of life, although we try to focus a little bit more on serious issues like mental illness and suicide.
6. How do you deal with nerves before a show?
We usually all hang out together and talk, it may seem stupid but we think that the band relationship is very important.
7. What venue do you love to play at the most? What’s your favourite venue?
8. What is the craziest thing you have ever witnessed at a show?
We saw someone lose a tooth in one of our moshpits once!
9. If you could tour with any line up, who would you tour with?
Sleep Waker headlining, Salem Trials, Us and Abrade the Earth
10. Advice time! What would you like to tell a new artist that’s just starting their career?
Never EVER let anyone tell you what you can and can’t do!
11. Would you like to give a shout out to anyone?
Of course! Darkmoon Productions and Hate My Design! These guys worked so hard to turn our music into a professional record with amazing album art!
12. The most important part of the interview! Show me the links!